Information for Release Managers
We aim to make a new release according to the Clang/LLVM release schedule.
For each release, a release manager is assigned. Release manager is responsible
for creating and uploading new release candidate tar balls and requesting for
testers from different platforms. After a release candidate round with
success reports and no failure reports, a release is published.
See the Maintenance Policy for the current release criteria.
A checklist and hints for testing and making a release successfully:
- Create a release branch in github. After branching the release, only
bug fixes should be committed to the branch. The bug fixes are merged
from the release branch to the master. Now development towards the next
release can go on in master while the release branch is being stabilized.
- Set the correct version number without -pre or -rc in the release branch
(configure.ac). Increment the version in the master branch. Do not include
an -rcX in the revision number in the source base so it is possible to
release an approved release candidate tar ball by just renaming the tar
ball file name.
- Update the new dynamic library version in the master branch. This
can be done in configure.ac.
Search for “4:0:3” to see the place where it’s set. It includes more info
- Check that CHANGES has the most interesting updates done during the release
cycle. Add missing notable changes from git log.
- Disallow support for the unreleased LLVM version from the release branch
because it will most likely stop working before the new LLVM is released
because LLVM API lives. That is, modify configure.ac in the release branch to not
allow the currently unreleased development version of LLVM.
- Update the release notes in doc/notes-VERNUM.txt.
- Add a git tag for the release candidate: ‘git tag 0.14-rc1’
- Create and test the tar ball package with command along the lines of ‘git archive –format=tar.gz –prefix=pocl-0.14/ 0.14-rc1 -o pocl-0.14-rc1.tar.gz’.
- Upload the package to portablecl.org/downloads via SFTP or to the
sourceforge file listing for the pocl project.
- Request for testers in Twitter and/or mailing list. Point the testers to
send their test reports to you privately or by adding them to the wiki.
A good way is to create a wiki page for the release schedule and a test
log. See https://github.com/pocl/pocl/wiki/pocl-0.10-release-testing for
- To publish a release, after testing it thoroughly, rename the latest RC
tar ball to omit the rcX tag, e.g.,
pocl-0.10.tar.gz. Upload the tar ball to the sourceforge download page and
- Update the CHANGES and ANNOUNCEMENT text files in these directories.
ANNOUNCEMENT is a copy of the latest release notes. A direct link to it can
be easily circulated in IRC, for example.
- Update the http://portablecl.org web page with the release information.
- Advertise everywhere you can. At least in Twitter and the mailing list.
In case of any problems, ask any previous release manager for help.
Previous releases were managed by the following pocl developers:
- 0.14: Pekka Jääskeläinen
- 0.11: Michal Babej
- 0.10: Pekka Jääskeläinen
- 0.9: Kalle Raiskila
- 0.8: Erik Schnetter
- 0.6 and 0.7: Pekka Jääskeläinen